Thursday, September 28, 2006

Funny dad

I was thinking of my dad and a conversation we had last night. Most of the time he has a very dry sense of humour and unfortunately his children sometimes find him a source of amusement. Unfortunate because we really shouldnt be laughing at him. But its hard not to sometimes. My brother and I have been the biggest culprits since we were little. We would look at each other over the dinner table and try not to laugh when he makes some obscure but funny comment. Lately, as my parents edge closer to qualifying for a pensioner card, this twosome of my brother and I has extended to include my mom, who will also catch our eye behind my dad’s back and make funny faces at us. I think she is also loosening up a little in her old age. Some funny moments of my dad over the past years that stand out in my mind..

There was a time when both my dad and myself worked in the city so I would catch a lift with him to the train station. My dad gets very anxious when he is driving to meet a deadline, so catching the train was no exception. We were running late so had to park the car and rush to catch the train. I made my way past the ticket machines when I heard a loud “HAIIIIYAH!”. It was my dad, all flustered from rushing, looking for his train ticket amongst his pockets. I wanted to laugh because Haiyah is so chinaman. Anyway, he found his ticket and we caught our train. The looks on people’s faces when he screamed out “Haiyah” at the barriers. Priceless.

Dad to KFC Chick: Can I get some tissues please?
KFC Chick: Some serviettes?
Dad to KFC Chick: No, Tissues

McD’s Chick: Is that to dine in?
Dad: No, eat here.

Dad driving while mom plays the nagivator.
Mom: Turn left, then left again, then first right.
Dad: OK, so do I turn right here?
Mom: No! Turn left first before you turn right.
Dad: Right here?
Mom: NO! Left here, look we just missed it, now you might have to turn back.
Dad: Haiyah
Mom: Don’t haiyah me!

I never knew my dad could be such a clown. In saying that, he is someone that I give my full respect to. When I was younger we used to have a rocky relationship, I think mainly because we are both very much alike. We are both stubborn and hate to admit that we are wrong. Now that I am older and hopefully a little more wiser, we get along quite well.

No comments: